Harbour Pier

Harbour Pier
Aberdeen Harbour North Pier

Sunday 1 January 2012

Introduction

It is 1st January, 2012 - as good a date as any to start a gardening blog. In July 2011 I took possession of an allotment after three years on the waiting list. This blog is going to record my efforts to create a productive plot based on organic principles, and to follow my experiments with raised beds, no-digging, biochar, rock dust, urine recycling, seaweed teas, comfrey fertilising and sundry other strategies to help productivity, improve the soil and be generally ecologically responsible. I am also interested in growing unusual vegetables and varieties.

I am located in Aberdeen in North-East Scotland, UK. Obviously, where I am determines what I can grow. There are macro-climatic influences but there are also micro-climatic effects from being so exposed and being on a north-facing slope. I'll write more later about the weather patterns but for the moment let us just say that people don't generally grow outdoor tomatoes round these parts, even with the help of global warming!




This is the plot the week I took it over. My daughter is inspecting for potential. In the background is the North Sea and the channel leading right to left into Aberdeen harbour. The land in the far distance is the coastal stretch running north of Aberdeen which includes Balmedie where Donald Trump is controversially building a golf course on ecologically sensitive sand dunes.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Garden Blogging Ian, you have set an impressive pace for your first few weeks, i'm lucky if i manage to post two a month.
    Best of luck with your allotment - you have already done so much work, I look forward to seeing it evolve and flourish over the year.
    How would you feel about being included on my list of Scottish Garden Bloggers? http://lochnessgarden.blogspot.com/p/list-of-scottish-gardening-blogs.html
    Best wishes, Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. Sorry, missed your comment until now.
      Yes, that sounds great. Love to be listed.
      Best wishes.

      Delete
  2. nice blog! i'll be following along as you go!

    ReplyDelete