Harbour Pier

Harbour Pier
Aberdeen Harbour North Pier

Thursday 12 January 2012

Chilly Chillies

It's strange but comforting to think of fiery chillies when icy blasts are rattling the windows. But I am already anticipating my bountiful crop with the arrival of a seed order from Tamar Organics including 30 seeds of my chosen chilli. Last year, pre-allotment and gardenless, the only thing I grew apart from my the solitary potato( Picking Potatoes), was window-sill chillies. Then I chose, without much planning, Early Jalapeno. It's the variety widely grown in Mexico for using with nachos and globally on pizzas.

For me it was a bit disappointing on two counts. It germinated very well, so well in fact I had to give lots of plants away to friends and relatives who helped with the feedback. But the general opinion? - Not very productive, and not enough heat. The mildness must have been something to do with the growing conditions because it is described as moderately hot. So I have promised my brother-in-law, who could eat a whole plant's harvest at one sitting, that I would try and give him something this year that would give him more capsaicin to chew on.

From many possibilities I have chosen a variety called Barak. It is described as producing'extremely hot small bullet shaped fruits produced in very large numbers'. It's a Purira type chilli and this variety matures to red from green purple and other hues making it very decorative. On the Scoville scale it's rated 8, or a tongue numbing 50,000 units. This year I won't have to block off all the incoming light into my flat with chilli plants as I have the greenhouse at the allotment and the extra light and heat may produce better, hotter fruits.

Here's part of last year's crop, well, actually, if I'm honest, nearly all of it, at least from the plants grown by me. (My mother's 8 chillies from her single plant beat my best one!)

Comments and advice on this year's selection appreciated! If it's a good one it will be a) beautiful, b) very productive, c) very hot (really just a variation on productivity as you use less) and d) perhaps will taste nice if not just pure heat. Progress reports guaranteed. Sample chillies posted on request (harvest permitting.)

2 comments:

  1. I have read over all your postings for January. You sure have lots of good information on your blog. Very helpful indeed. Here on the shores of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin I do mostly flower gardening - love it. Have only a little space where I do organic gardening - must say love that too at harvest time. Hope to see you again. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete