Harbour Pier

Harbour Pier
Aberdeen Harbour North Pier

Monday 19 March 2012

Love Is In The Air, Potatoes Are In The Ground

For me it is not so much the date of the vernal equinox that heralds the start of Spring but more the blossom of the flowering currant. March 20th could easily pass me by but with the currant bush in full view as I have my breakfast, it is for me a more insistent reminder.

As if to labour the point two besotted pigeons visited my bird bath this morning. It is too small for twin, pigeon-sized bathers even if it had water in it - which it didn't. These two were using the perch as a rendezvous for mutual admiration and a precursor to consummation I'm sure.

Meanwhile, down on the allotment It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade. - Charles Dickens. Nevertheless the early potatoes were planted, about two weeks ahead of what is considered safe around these parts but I have planted them in a bed which has been covered in a plastic tunnel, and which has gone back until things warm up a bit more.

Question: Why do people ridge up their potatoes when they plant them? I've never understood the logic of this. Mine are in small trenches. As the foliage grows the soil from the ridges between the rows will first level out the trench and then a ridge will be built. Is my logic flawed?

What's the significance of the red circles? These mark the random seven tatties which have what I call nutrient bombs (completely organic I promise) planted and ready to detonate a few inches below them. I want to see if there are any differences in the growth and harvest of these plants compared to the others. I'll post progress photos as the season progresses. What's in the nutrient bombs? That's for another day.

3 comments:

  1. Didn't quite follow what's the meaning of people doing ridges for potatoes. I saw your picture and I think I did like yours. I planted them in ditch. And, then pour the soil from the ridges/hill around them (the soil that created the ditch) as the plant grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks KL. My logic follow yours. But I see gardeners around me planting the potatoes in a ridge from the start. I fail to see the advantage in that because you can't subsequently ridge up any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planting my tatties this weekend :) wish me luck.

    http://growmoresquared.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete